EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: SUMMER LAW CLERK 2018
The Edmonton Community Legal Centre provides legal and related support services for persons living with low income in the Edmonton area. We are seeking up to five enthusiastic students with excellent interpersonal and time management skills, legal research skills, and the ability to work in a busy and challenging team environment during the summer months.
The student will report to the ECLC staff lawyers and be responsible for the following duties:
- Conduct legal research related to open client files in practice areas including civil, family, and immigration
- Use internet resources to access legal information
- Assist with the management of cases using the ECLC client database
- Assist in the drafting of legal documentation, including pleadings, affidavits, demand letters, civil claims, Statements of Claim, dispute notes, Statements of Defense and human rights claims.
- Participate in client interviews
- Attend administrative hearings, trials, and other court appearances
- Answer client intake phone calls, input client information into ECLC database, and check for potential client conflicts
- Provide other legal administrative duties as required
Completion of at least one year of law school. Applicants who have an interest in poverty law, and a background working with marginalized populations are encouraged to apply. The ability to speak a second language other than English would be an asset but is not essential. Preference will be given to those with previous ECLC volunteer experience.
Salary and term
We anticipate having five positions available, with durations of nine to 16 weeks, 35 hours per week, at $20 per hour.
All interested candidates are asked to forward a covering letter and resume to Jennifer Smyth, Director of Operations, no later than Monday February 26, 2018. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those applicants who receive an interview will be contacted.
Edmonton Community Legal Centre
200, 10020 – 100 Street
Edmonton AB T5J 0N3
Fax: 780 702-1726