Below are the descriptions of the various administrative volunteer roles.
If you are interested in being considered for any of these roles, please fill out the application at https://www.eclc.ca/get-involved/volunteer-application-forms/ to be included in our applicants database.
We appreciate your interest in volunteering and only when there are vacancies that fit your availability will you be contacted for a possible volunteer role.
Daytime Administrative Support
This role is for anyone who is currently not a lawyer or law student, but would like to volunteer in an environment that provides legal services. Daytime Administrative Support volunteers support the ECLC’s programs and services by performing these duties:
- Data entry
- Preparing client appointment paperwork used for Summary Legal Advice clinics, where volunteer lawyers provide free legal advice to clients
- Organizing materials for other programs such as Public Legal Education Presentations
- Other operational tasks like research or statistical analysis
Evening Clinic Volunteer Host
This role is for anyone who is currently not a lawyer or law student, but would like to volunteer in an environment that provides legal services. Evening Clinic Volunteer Host volunteers support the ECLC’s programs and services by performing these duties:
- Checking in clients that attend the evening clinics and assisting them in accessing the office after regular business hours
- Other operational tasks like research, website maintenance, data entry, or social media planning
- As needed, helping at the evening clinic front desk, directly supporting volunteer lawyers and the clients as they get help from their legal appointments
Family Law Support Volunteers
This role is for those who have completed law school and are in the process of obtaining their license as a practicing lawyer in Alberta. Family Law Support Volunteers support the ECLC’s programs and services by performing these duties:
- Being available and flexible to volunteer on short notice, when other student volunteers are not available
- Assist volunteer lawyers in taking notes during free legal advice appointments, and performing any other delegated administrative tasks
- Assist volunteer lawyers during legal presentations by taking attendance, distributing presentation material to the audience and ensuring that the technology works smoothly